Monday, September 16, 2013

Coming out of the closet

9-2-2013 Some of you may already know, or at least suspect that there is something different about me . I have a secret. I go to church! About a year ago a friend called me a closet Christian and I laughed. He was an ex Christian and I was an ex Buddhist (or soon to be) at the time. Up until a few weeks ago, I considered coming out as a closet Christian, hesitantly. I even looked up the term and found this http://www.salon.com/2009/12/21/closet_christian/ She says, "Because in my circle, nothing is more embarrassing than being religious." I can SO relate to that. And then more reading and learning and experiencing happened and I'm not convinced I can call myself that either. But more on that another time. Over the last year, I have found myself walking on the most extreme bridge between two worlds that I've ever been on. My loving, ecstatic dance, ecovillage, activist, hippie friends on one side, my bible reading, church going, God loving friends on the other. There is so much goodness and truth on either side, why cant one side see the truth in the other? One side seems more outwardly judgmental and close minded and the other seems more unaware or blind (i'm not saying which is which). I am an observer, truth seeker, bridge walker, open hearted person who has been searching for two things for as long as I can remember: spirituality and community

2 comments:

  1. Having come from a long history of Christian influence, I am not particularly drawn to that which you are into these days, however, I also seek community and spirituality....maybe just in different ways. I honor your own personal journey and wish the very best for you, as you explore! Been going to the Y, if you want to work out with me. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was a reason I resonated with you. I too am a bridge walker, openhearted person who has been search of spirituality and community. I agree with "One side seems more outwardly judgmental and close minded and the other seems more unaware or blind (i'm not saying which is which)."

    ReplyDelete