Thursday, October 25, 2012

community still in progress

Seven months since I have posted. I have no idea how it's been so long and yet I feel like I have lived 2 lifetimes* since then, or maybe 3. I am building community in a way I never really thought I would... by living alone (with Ama). First of all I never thought I could afford my own 2 bedroom place on my extremely low income. Second, I have never lived alone and never thought I'd want to. ( I know right now some people are thinking "you need to embrace being alone and blah blah blah". but, to know me is to know that I embraced that probably by the time I was 6 years old and my work in this life is to embrace not being alone.) After many "failed" attempts at living with people, I miraculously found this place that I could almost afford. And we love it! At first we called it 'Big Poppa' since its next to the papas pizza dumpster. Then it started to be referred to as the town square of our community. My fear of isolation proved untrue as I made it known that I love drop in visits. Some days it's a revolving door with 1 visitor after another. I've had impromptu HON triads and diads, and I've cooked dinners for more people than I have chairs for. Sleepovers, movie nights, game nights and much laughter are the norm over here
. I am letting more people into my world, sometimes with the mess and all. I am opening my heart how I always hoped I would. I have a 'sisterwife', a 'life partner' and a house husband or 2 (which just to clarify are my best friends, my inner circle who really get to see the realest me I can show)

2 comments: